Prioritizing Your Special Education Workload Using Google Keep

Over the past few years Google has slowly been taking over my life.  I use Gmail, store all of my files in Google Drive, use Google Calendar to schedule all of my meetings, and use Google Forms to collect data (for more info about how I use Google Forms, check out The Simple Way I Track Behavior in My Class... Digitally!).  What's the one area where I continue to use a paper and pen?  Lists!  I love a good to-do list and have a bazillion sticky notes to prove it!

Last week I talked about using the 4-square method for prioritizing your work load.  You can find the post HERE.  It is basically a simple way of mapping out the level of importance and urgency of each task.  It is often done in a grid with the level of urgency across the top and the level of importance down the side.  If you like the paper version, you can pick up a free copy HERE.

If you are more of a digital note taker, or you want to become one, Google Keep is a great option.  It is a simple application that lets you customize digital sticky notes.  The great thing about Google Keep is that you can access it from nearly any device.  This is a huge bonus if you are working on your to-do list outside of the classroom.

Assuming that you already have a Google account, you can access Google Keep for free.  To find it, click on the Google grid in the upper right corner of your Google Drive.  If you don't notice the app in the menu,  click on the option to check out more from Google.
Once you have access to Google Keep, you can start designing your notes.  Just click on "take a note" and start typing.  I prefer to have one note for each quadrant of the 4-sqare, and I add the heading of the quadrant to the title of each note.

Important and Urgent
Important but Not Urgent
Urgent but Not Important
Not Urgent and Not Important
Google Keep gives two options for viewing your notes - grid view and list view.  Grid view gives you more of the "4 quadrant" feel, however, it adjusts the placement based on the screen size so it often puts 3 notes across.  I prefer list view.  This stacks the notes so I can put them in order of priority.

Google Keep also gives you the option to add checkboxes.  This is a no-brainer for me.  Of course I want checkboxes.  I am notorious for putting super simple tasks on my to-do list just so I can check them off!  To add check boxes, just hover over the note and click on the 3 dots.  Choose - show checkboxes.
Are you into color coding?  Find the paint palette in the tool bar at the bottom of each note and select a color.  You can also add a picture, but I never use this feature as it tends to take up way too much space.

Google Keep also gives you some more advanced options. You can set a reminder or add a collaborator from the tool bar in each note.
Google Keep also allows you to add labels to your notes.  This are handy when you have a bunch of notes to keep track of.  The labels serve as keywords.  So, you can have multiple labels for the same note.  You will see you labels off to the left.

Have you used Google Keep to help you stay organized?  Do you have any tips or tricks?  Please share!



2 comments

  1. Your 4 quadrant, how smart!! I've never thought about organizing this way !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - thanks for the tip AND the step-by-step walk-thru. Very much appreciated! I typically use "Sticky Notes" but they can get a little congested over time... I need to start using Google more often. Honestly still trying to get used to Google Docs and didn't even realize all that other stuff was even there!

    ReplyDelete